Its the most wonderful time of the year ! Or is it? We are full swing into the Christmas party season. We have had ours, a lovely meal and then on to watch scummymummies at our local theatre. (hilarious, go if you get a chance). It was a relatively calm affair no arguments, no telling colleagues what you really think, and no creepy characters being… creepy. Although this is supposed to be a time for reflection, bonding and discussing future plans, unfortunately too many of us have experienced some if not all of these situations at the office party, which can lead to discontent and unease and in some some cases disciplinary action.
We would like to share our top 5 tips to ensure you have the best time at your office shin dig.
- It sounds obvious but make sure you have eaten, and pace yourself, often drinks can start to flow way before any food is served, this can catch you out.
- Avoid talking to colleagues you might be holding a resentment with, or have unresolved issues with. The office party is not the place to start those discussions.
- Stay off the phone! Social media is not your friend and you may regret that selfie with your Director.
- Plan ahead, if you are working the next day its not the best idea to plan meetings, keep it simple.
- Have an exit strategy, if you find yourself cornered by someone not following these golden rules make sure you have a get out of jail card. “My taxi is here” or “excuse me I just need to…” pointing in the distance to a none – exsistent person (one of my favourites)
Not rocket science but should help you survive and enjoy the annual party. Good luck have a great time and stay safe. Merry Christmas.
Andrea, Kirsteen and Lorraine.